Blaming the Fast Food Industry for Our Children's Obesity...

I have a friend that has a rant she wants me to express in here: The blaming of the fast food industry for the obesity of our children. While it is true the fast food industry provides calorie and fat laden food, are they really to blame for the bulging waistlines of our children?

Here's a quote straight from the mouth of my friend:"I find it a warped truth. I grew up on McDonalds and Taco Bell....but i also didn't grow up with 600 gaming systems that kept me in the house instead of being outside."

I think she has a point. If you eat high calorie/high fat food, then sit on your butt all day long, what other thing could you possibly expect to happen? I can personally attest to that fact (see previous posts...).

Parents...you are ultimately responsible for all aspects of your child's well being. Hello...anybody out there? That includes how much they weigh. And trust me, I know it can be a constant battle. My wife is always reminding me that our children mimic what they see. And if they see me overeating, they will be inclined to to do so. If they see me vegging out in front of the TV all day long with no exercise, who do you think they will emulate?

Now, I will dissent in this argument on the fact that it is not partly the fast food industry's problem. There are less fatty ways to produce the foods they sell and I'll bet they could make it taste just as good. While I do not think the industry should be forced to comply, they should be able to see the correlation between the man boobs a lot of guys are sporting and bad food intake.

For a totally different view of the issue, See what the Schwarzanator (Gov. Schwarzenegger, Republican, CA) has done.

Read Users' Comments (1)comments

1 Response to "Blaming the Fast Food Industry for Our Children's Obesity..."

  1. Anonymous Says:
    July 30, 2008 at 8:12 AM

    Love it. Thank you for giving me my space on the blog of all blogs. I truly appreciate your support. I know it's hard but there are good choices out there, not always on what you eat but on how your live your life. Go outside, play a game of tag, games use to be fun...no more and more parents (that actually grow up playing the games themselves) are being big 'ole babies about them and calling the games unfair, hurtful...Stop it. dodgeball isn't a self esteem crusher, tag does not amplify picking on. This is all a product of a nanny-fied country. So parents, instead of standing in lines for days for the newest gaming system, teach your kids the value of playing outdoors with real friends, not those found online.